Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wants some tits with your kids' toys? Lego shows you how.

This, from Steve Grout at Change.org and (c) him:

I love Lego. I grew up with it. When I became a dad one of the things I was looking forward to was sitting down with my kids and building Lego models with them. Lego is an educational toy, great for boys and girls and is a brand that has become synonymous with integrity and positive values.

So I was appalled to find out that Lego is promoting its toys in The Sun just millimeters away from an image that is famous for being one of the most sexist institutions of our time -- Page 3. That’s why I'm asking Lego to stop partnering with the Sun until the newspaper drops the topless images on Page 3. Click here to sign my petition.

My boys are seven and nine. They are like information sponges - absorbing what they see. When they see things they don't understand they ask about it. How on earth do you explain the topless pictures on Page 3 to kids of that age? And why should I have to? Lego talks about its positive impact on children's development and learning. In a section on its website called ‘Caring’ it says:
“Caring is about the desire to make a positive difference in the lives of children, for our partners, colleagues and the world we find ourselves in, and considering their perspective in everything we do.”
The Sun: 5 free Lego toys, 2 free tits
Lego should look at their partnership from a child’s perspective -- the impact that seeing these images has on how young people grow up thinking about women is very important. Please join me in calling on Lego to do the right thing by our children and stop partnering with the Sun until Page 3 is dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment